Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A no-fail buttery flakey crust topped with the most delicious butter tart-like filling! --- these take little time to make and are so delicious, please make the crust only on a food processor it will not have the same texture if mixed by hand --- servings are only estimated it depends on what size you cut the squares :)
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small chunks (no subs please!)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (no subs please!)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups brown sugar (can use 1 cup light and 1 cup dark brown sugar if desired)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup coconut
- 3⁄4-1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Set oven to 350°.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the crust: Mix all ingredients in a food processor until crumbly.
- Press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- To make filling/topping: In a bowl, whisk/mix butter, eggs, brown sugar, baking powder, flour, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- Mix in the coconut, raisins and nuts (if using).
- Pour the mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Wow,love this recipe!The bottom layer is so flaky and buttery,it melts in your mouth.The top layer is quite sweet,next time I would reduce the brown sugar a little.Thanks for posting a great recipe!
SO GOOD!!! Brought them to work for a potluch and was aked for the recipe MANY times. I did cook a little long so be sure to follow the directions and watch your bake time!
Mmmm!These were so good.They are perfect for the times when you are craving a butter tart but don't want to go to the trouble of rolling pastry etc.Just a tad too sweet for my taste(I used all golden sugar, so using all dark brown might make a difference??)--I might cut back a little bit on the sugar for next time or sub a little bit of corn syrup instead, but all in all, a super square to have with a cup of coffee.Thanks for the recipe!!!