Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
The oatmeal blended in a fine powder seems to really add to the cookies, and is healthy. The Bakers unsweetened chocolate is so perfect for these cookies; cookies are not too sweet. Children love these crunchy and tasty cookies.. quite easy to make. Cookies freeze well.
- 2 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces hersheys miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces baker unsweetened chocolate (shave with a potato peeler)
- 1 cup of finely chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat Oven to 375°F degrees.
- Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
- Cream the butter and both sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together with the flours, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda.
- Add chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate that has been shaved with a potato peeler.
- Add finely chopped nuts.
- Roll in balls about 2 tbsp each in each ball.
- Place balls on an a lightly greased cookie sheet or place parchment paper on sheet.
- Flatten balls with a fork or with palm of hands (dough is firm)-- cookies should be 2-inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes in oven.
- Cool on rack.
- Freezes well.