1/2 Photos of Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is my version of Chicken Tortilla soup. It's very similar to the soup served at Max & Erma's restaurant chain. I threw it together one day using mostly leftovers from my fridge. It was a hit.. So now every time I roast a chicken, I make this the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooked chicken (leftover roasted or rotisserie)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 inches piece Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- sour cream (optional)
- 1Put chicken, skin bones and all, into a pot with 2 quarts of lightly salted water, and bring to boil. Important: the skin and bones make the broth taste great. that's where the flavor is. this wont work using skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is starting to loosen from the bones and broth looks. well. like broth. (about 20 minutes).
- 3Carefully, remove chicken from broth making sure to get any little bones that may be on the bottom of the pot. Set chicken aside to let cool.
- 4Add onion, Rotel, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and black pepper to the pot. Add 1/2 tsp crushed pepper for medium heat, less if you like it mild, or more if you like it spicy. I use 1 teaspoons.
- 5Stir, and let simmer until chicken is cool enough to handle.
- 6Tear off chicken meat and place back into pot discarding skin and bones.
- 7Cut off about a 2 inch section from a log of Velveeta cheese, then cut into cubes.
- 8Add cheese, and cilantro to soup and stir over low heat until cheese is melted into the soup. Let simmer stirring often.
- 9Stack corn tortillas and slice into thin shreds with a sharp knife. Cook tortilla shreds in a small amount of hot oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- 10To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream (optional) and the tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Spicy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 210.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: