Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been a huge hit with everyone who has ever tried it. We make it almost weekly, and the leftovers are eaten immediately. It is also very healthy! It is a little spicy, so if you don't have too much of a tolerance for spicy foods, you may choose to leave out the seeds of the jalapeño. If you love spicy, like we do, extra cayenne pepper adds even more zing. Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup non-fat tortilla chips (optional)
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips if desired.
DH, who considers himself a tortilla soup connoisseur, said "Baby, this is the best tortilla soup I have ever had, hands down." And then he helped himself to another huge bowl. :) I changed a few small things: 1 bag of frozen southwestern corn mix instead of plain corn; 1 can of green chilis instead of jalapeno; 1 can of tomato paste instead of tomato sauce; omitted the white wine; added a can of drained/rinsed black beans, 4 stalks of celery (chopped), 2 small zuchinnis (sliced thick) and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Served with sour cream, chips and sliced avocado, then emailed the recipe to everyone I know. Everyone who has tried it, raves about it. Freezes very well. Freeze in portion-sized freezer safe bowls, then take to work and pop in the microwave for a fast, tasty lunch. This is a 10 star recipe. Healthy and delicious.
Terrific recipe. Just perfect. When I make this, I use one rotisserie chicken, minus skin and bones, of course. It is the perfect quantity of chicken and makes this recipe super fast.
See edit at bottom:
Wow!!! THIS IS FABULOUS!! Didn't have to adjust very much at all. Used Rotel instead of canned tomatoes, omitted tomato sauce, used my homemade stock (Recipe #24576 Lennie's Rescued Turkey stock) which didn't require me to use canned broth since my stock is concentrated and I add water to that. I was a bit worried as it simmered and I tasted it that it would be too spicy even for us, so I added a dollop of sour cream to our bowls and we both lapped it up. Served with a side of guacamole, sour cream and tortilla chips on the side and crushed in the soup... and salad. What a great cold night meal. We both LOVED this!
ETA: This freezes extremely well! 8/23/2011 - I don't know why I forgot to put stars on so many reviews. Updating to add the very deserved 5 stars to this FABULOUS recipe. I have to say, this is my FAVOURITE recipe here.