Recipe by julialeathers
Cream cheese is the secret ingredient and it's AMAZING!! This is a simple and delicious recipe that you will want to make time and time again. Note: I use a store made rotisserie chicken and canned enchilada sauce to save time.
- 1 whole chicken, store bought rotisserie
- 6 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped with stems and seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) red enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Shred the rotisserie chicken and set aside. Don't include the skin or pieces of meat you wouldn't want to bite into.
- Finely chop the onion; jalapenos and garlic (keep garlic separate).
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil and sauté the onion and jalapenos over medium heat until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste, and the crushed garlic; cook for another minute (note: watch the garlic closely because it burns very easily).
- Next, turn the heat down to low and add 2 tbsp of the enchilada sauce and mix in 6 oz of cream cheese. Once the cream cheese is fully incorporated add the shredded chicken and take the pan off of the heat and let cool.
- Soften the corn tortillas in the microwave with a damp paper towel.
- Cover the bottom of an 8x12 baking dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce. With a fork scoop chicken mixture into the tortilla, with enough room to roll the tortilla. Place the filled tortillas in the pan seam side down and cover with the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake until heated through about 15-20 minutes. Once done, add shredded cheese and put back in the oven until melted.
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro.