Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
YUUUUUMMY! Who knew I could make "Chinese" that's great??!! YOU CAN! This is a FANTASTIC recipe adapted from one published in June/July 1993 Taste of Home magazine. You won't be disappointed! Prep time does not include 2 hours of marinating.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets (I use frozen for quicker cooking)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots or 1 cup halved baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups roasted salted cashews
- cooked rice
- In a large plastic back (gallon zipper bag), combine first four ingredients; add chicken& toss to coat.
- Seal& marinate in refrigerator for two hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade& reserve marinade.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Stir-fry chicken for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry broccoli& carrots for 3 minutes or just until crisp-tender.
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger& reserved marinade; stir into veggies.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and heated through.
- Stir in cashews and chicken; heat through.
- Serve over rice.
This is a tasty dish and easy to prepare. I will probably leave out the cornstarch next time as I prefer the sauce to be more on the 'runny' side, but that is just a personal preference. You could vary it with other vegetables too, such as baby corn, fresh asparagus, bell peppers and water chestnuts. I will make this again. Thanks for sharing.
The sauce is highly flavorful and delicious. We really loved it. I added some scallions (cut into about 1/2" pieces) with the other veggies.
Thought I would try a different cashew chicken...this was a great recipe...very easy and the sauce was perfect. thanks, I am sure I will be making this often.