Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A hit with kids!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium-large potato, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch ground rosemary
- 1 pinch ground sage
- water, to cover
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese (2 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Mince onion.
- Melt butter and olive oil in saucepan over low heat.
- Add onion and sautee.
- Prepare garlic bell pepper, carrot, and potato, in that order, adding each to the pan once it's ready, stirring after each addition.
- Season veggies with salt, cayenne, thyme, rosemary, and sage.
- Add water to cover, turn up heat, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes).
- While they simmer, liquefy cream cheese with milk in the blender.
- After vegetables are tender, still milk mixture, cheddar, and parmesan into the soup. Warm, but do not boil.
- Serve with bread or crackers of choice (caraway rye is nice). Parsley garnish optional.