Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband got this recipe from a former co-worker after she brought the apple cake to a food day. I've made a few adjustments to the recipe and my husband says it's even better than the original (maybe he's just being nice?). Either way, every time we've made it our guests LOVE it and almost always have more than one piece. You can serve with whipped topping or ice cream.
- Mix sugar, melted butter and eggs together.
- Add remaining dry ingredients (will be thick, like cookie dough).
- Peel and chop apples.
- Add chopped apples to batter, mix well.
- Spread into greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Shortly before the cake is done baking add the remaining 3 Tbs butter, sugars and whipping cream to sauce pan on medium heat.
- Sir frequently until slightly thick.
- Pour sauce over warm cake.
- Serve warm.
This is a very nice,moist cake.I love the spices in this cake.In addition to nutmeg and cinnamon I also added 1/2 tsp cloves and 1 tsp vanilla.I only used 3 apples and found that was plenty for me.I reduced the brown sugar to just 1 cup and it was fine.And I didn't make the caramel sauce,the cake itself is good enough without it!
This cake definitely lives up to its name. It is a cross between a cobbler and a gooey butter cake and it was a huge hit at my Church potluck dinner tonight. Even my husband loved the cake and he is not really an apple fan. Thanks for the post. Made this dish for PAC, 2011.
This cake is amazing! Reminds me of granny cakes my Grandma used to make when I was little. I followed the recipe exactly...