1/1 Photo of Amazing Cabbage (You'll Want to Eat a Whole One)
This is a Jamie Oliver's idea so I can't take credit for it, as much as I'd like to. Don't be put off by the anchovies in the butter, it doesn't taste fishy and you can't detect them at all. In fact, you can't really detect the rosemary or garlic much either for that matter. They act more like a seasoning as opposed to a flavouring and I promise you this is seriously the best cabbage you'll ever eat! Cook the cabbage as described and adapt the recipe to make as much or as little of the butter as you like, the rest can be stored in the freezer for those 'gotta have my cabbage' moments. Ha ha, you say that now. . . .
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the flavoured butter
- 1To make the butter, put everything EXCEPT the butter into the bowl of a food processor, whizz until finely chopped and then add to the butter. Mash everything together until all is incorporated, roll into a sausage shape and store in greaseproof paper in the fridge or freezer as needed.
- 2To make the cabbage half it and cut out the core. Separate the leaves starting at the outside and cut any large ones in half.
- 3Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a little salt along with the cabbage, bring back to the boil, lower the heat just a little and simmer for 5 minutes ONLY.
- 4Have a large bowl of ice water ready and immediately plunge the cabbage into it to stop the cooking process - this is really important.
- 5Once cold, drain the cabbage well and store until needed. You can keep this in the fridge if you like for a couple of days well covered.
- 6Melt a large hunk of the flavoured butter in a pan over a medium heat and allow to sizzle for just less than 1 minute without browning.
- 7Add the prepared cabbage (you may have to do this in 2 batches) and heat gently until hot, completely coated with the butter and any excess water has evaporated off. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper.
- 8Fight over the last pieces and dream about having your very own cabbage fest!
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Cabbage (You'll Want to Eat a Whole One)
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.7
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 32.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.4 mg
- Sodium 707.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g