Recipe by Sara R.
For some time, I've been trying to find the ultimate brownies recipe. I was looking for something rich, chocolatey, moist and not overly sweet. I've tried out a few recipes, some from this site. Some were good, some were mediocre, but none were quite what I was looking for. Then I found this recipe in my town's local newspaper, in a section called "Mayah's corner of sweets". I figured I might as well try it, and I'm very glad that I did. Description and recipe were translated by yours truly from Hebrew into English. I would suggest using a good quality chocolate, with at least 60% cocoa solids. "Mayah's" orginal description: "The most chocolatey American baked good that I can think of. Excellent with a hot cup of tea or coffee in cold weather. Heart warming. For chocolate lovers only..."
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 250 g bittersweet chocolate
- 250 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs, coffee, vanilla extract and sugar. Mix well.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in microwave. stir every minute or so and continue heating until the mixture is fully melted.
- Combine egg mixture with chocolate mixture and mix.
- Combine flour, salt and cocoa.
- Add egg-chocolate mixture to the flour mixture, mix well.
- Pour batter into a 30cmX25cm (~ 10X12 in inches) buttered baking pan.
- Put into oven, preheated to 180C (350F). Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.