Recipe by quirkycook
My mom makes this recipe on Christmas eve so that we have a wonderful breakfast baking in the oven while we open up Christmas presents in the morning. I absolutely love this casserole! We use the Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread cubes that are readily available during the holidays.
Top Review by SmileyJannie
This is the best, best, best breakfast casserole around! I love this casserole. I do make one change though. I have the need for less sodium in my diet so I either use plain croutons or low sodium sausage. Oh and by the way, did I mention how wonderful this is??? :)
- 3 cups seasoned croutons
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 lbs pork sausage, fried and crumbled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with the seasoned croutons.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses and sausage.
- Mix together the eggs, mustard, and 2 1/2 cups milk.
- Pour over the crouton mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, mix can of soup with 1/2 cup milk.
- Pour on top of casserole.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.