Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom makes this recipe on Christmas eve so that we have a wonderful breakfast baking in the oven while we open up Christmas presents in the morning. I absolutely love this casserole! We use the Pepperidge Farm seasoned bread cubes that are readily available during the holidays.
- 3 cups seasoned croutons
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 lbs pork sausage, fried and crumbled
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with the seasoned croutons.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses and sausage.
- Mix together the eggs, mustard, and 2 1/2 cups milk.
- Pour over the crouton mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, mix can of soup with 1/2 cup milk.
- Pour on top of casserole.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
This is the best, best, best breakfast casserole around! I love this casserole. I do make one change though. I have the need for less sodium in my diet so I either use plain croutons or low sodium sausage. Oh and by the way, did I mention how wonderful this is??? :)