1/1 Photo of Amazing Breakfast Bake
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
This is a great dish to make for Christmas, Easter or any special morning. It is easy and can be prepared ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven and enjoy. I like to prepare mine the same morning. The first time I made this everyone raved about it and asked if I would make it very year. I would suggest spliting it up into two smaller dishes if you have children that do not like peppers and onions. Make one for adults and the other one a little bit more kid-friendly with just ham and cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon or 6 ounces baked ham, trimmed and diced
- 2 links smoked sausage or 6 ounces hot smoked sausage, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 8 cups stale French bread or 8 cups Italian bread, cubed
- 8 ounces grated gouda cheese (about 2 cups) or 8 ounces Fontina cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease a 3-quart (9 by 13-inch) baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- 2In a medium skillet, melt 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, green and red bell peppers, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the parsley, stir, and remove from the heat. Let cool.
- 3In a medium skillet, melt the remaining 1 teaspoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and let cool.
- 4In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, cream, 1 teaspoon of the Essence, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and whisk to combine. Add the bread cubes and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the cooked Canadian bacon and sausage, the onion mixture, and the Gouda cheese and stir to incorporate the ingredients. Pour into the prepared dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake until almost completely set, 50 to 55 minutes.
- 5(Alternatively, the bread pudding can be assembled up to this point, covered, and refrigerated 8 hours or overnight, and then baked. Let sit at room temperature while preheating the oven, before baking. ).
- 6In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, melted butter, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon Essence. Uncover the pudding and sprinkle the bread crumb mixture evenly over the top. Return to the oven, increase the heat to 375 degrees F and bake until the pudding is completely set in the center, puffed, and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- 7Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Breakfast Bake
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 849.9
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 317.1 mg
- Sodium 2067.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 40.0 g