Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a hearty favorite of my family. Wonderful flavor and very easy to make.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb cubed beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 7 -14 ounces canned peas
- Put flour, salt & pepper in large Ziploc bag.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Place meat in bag with the flour and shake well until coated.
- Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil and stir until slightly browned.
- Add remaining flour to pan and finely chopped onion.
- Stir until well browned.
- Add remainder of ingredients, except potatoes & peas.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover a cook 1 additional hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add canned peas, cover and cook 1/2 - 1 additional hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
This stew makes the whole house smell wonderful while it cooks. I added about 2 chopped cloves of garlic in Step 5. The cooking time was spot on. All of the vegetables and the stew meat were very tender after 2 1/2 hours of cooking on the stove top.