Recipe by Rita~
Key to this scrumptious quick cooking recipe is to have all ingredients prepared before stir frying. This can be made with the optional ingredients mixing and matching to your taste. Vegetarians can use tofu. Chicken and pork are also luscious in place of the shrimp.
- 1 lb shrimp, defrosted, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (Hot or spicy)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 cup sliced button mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced thin on an angle
- 1⁄3 cup snow pea pods, trimmed and cut into match sticks
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, cut into match sticks
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup shrimp broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sambal oelek, for heat (optional not so hot if you have it use it!)
- 2 scallions, sliced on an angle
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combined cornstarch and water stir till smooth, stir in rest of glaze ingredients, set aside.
- Season shrimp with paprika and pepper, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan or wok over medium high heat.
- Add onions, peppers, mushrooms and optional ingredients if using, stir fry till crisp about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger stir fry 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook till pink.
- Stir in glaze and cook till thick and glazed over vegetables and shrimp.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.