Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This pie is comforting and delicious! The recipe comes from the Betty Crocker 40th anniversary cookbook. During the holidays, we use leftover pie crust dough and make holly leaves to put on top. It's best served with vanilla bean ice cream!
For the Crust
- 3⁄4-1 cup shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 -8 tablespoons cold water
For the filling
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 10 cups tart apples, thinly sliced (about 9 cups)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- For dough: Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tbs. at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans the side of the bowl (can add more water if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball and split in half.
- Shape into 2 10-inch rounds.
- For the filling: Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in apples.
- Turn into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Dot with margarine or butter.
- Cover with top crust that has cuts in it.
- Seal and flute.
- Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Remove foil during last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble from slits in crust.