Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Nothing like a hot hot bowl of chili.
- 4 slices bacon, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 lb pork shoulder, coarse grind
- 1 lb beef round steak, 1/2-inch strips
- 1⁄2 lb beef chuck, coarse grind
- 1 cup green chili, whole
- 1 tablespoon hot red chili pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons mild red chili peppers, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, pref. Mexican
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 16 ounces pinto beans
- Fry bacon in a large, deep heavy pot over medium heat.
- When the bacon has rendered most of its fat, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon, drain on paper toweling and reserve.
- Add the onions and garlic to the bacon fat and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the pork and beef to the pot.
- Break up any lumps with a fork and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the beans and the bacon.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in the beans and the bacon, and simmer for 1/2 hour longer.