Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Amaretto, California Apricots, Whipping Cream... YUM
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
INGREDIENTS TO PREPARE CAKE
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk (do not substitute)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 3⁄4 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350*.
- Grease and flour 2, 9 inch round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
- Split each cake layer horizontally into two thin layers. Cover loosely, set aside.
- In a sauce pan, mix cornstarch and sugar. Gradually stir in milk and beaten eggs. Stir over low heat until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Cool mixture then stir in vanilla and rum flavorings.
- Cover and chill.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate or serving platter.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Amaretto and spread with 1/3 of the apricot preserves, followed by 1/3 of the thickened egg mixture.
- Continue layering, ending with plain fourth cake layer.
- In a bowl whip cream and 1/4 cup of Amaretto until stiff.
- Spread mixture over the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle outer edge of top with candied fruit, if desired.
- Chill until ready to serve.