Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe from my grandmother, which all of us grandkids just love! It has a wonderful flavor and a beautiful presentation!
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 angel food cake
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- Wash and cut strawberries in half in a bowl. Add Amaretto and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and allow the mixture to sit.
- Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Whip the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Tear angel food cake into bite-size pieces into the cream cheese and whipping cream mixture.
- Layer in a large bowl - if you have a trifle-style bowl or other clear glass bowl, the layers look great in it. Start with the berry mixture as the bottom layer and end with the berries.
- Chill before serving.
Irresistible! As I'm touring around the world with ZWT, I'd like to believe that the 5 pounds of extra weight I'm walking around with is just camera weight. Made for ZWT#8~Great Britain. Tally-Ho!
Absolutely fantastic!!!! Wasn't sure if I would like the Amaretto with the strawberries, but it is so good. I bought a angel food cake (much easier) and used half of it for this recipe and plan to use the other half to try another trifle. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, which will be made again!! Made for ZWT8.
This was fabulous!!! I'd never made trifle before and found this recipe and everyone raved!! I did reduce the sugar in the cheese mixture to 1 1/2 cups and it was plenty sweet. Thanks for posting--it will be made many more times!