Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This salad using amaretto sounds intriguing to me.
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Wash spinach.
- Remove large stems and tear into bite-size pieces.
- Store in plastic bags lined with paper towels in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place bacon in a large skillet.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and all fat is rendered.
- Remove bacon, reserve 1/8 cup bacon fat, discard the rest.
- Return bacon fat to skillet and add oil, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, amaretto, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until blended.
- When ready to serve, place spinach, mushrooms, onion and reserved bacon in large salad bowl.
- If you like a wilted salad, pour the dressing over very hot; if not, let cool a bit before serving; toss well.
This salad using Amaretto sounded really good to me, too. However, I found the dressing a little to tart for my taste, even though I added sweetness to the salad, by adding carrots, craisins, and candied pecans. I may try this, again, adding a little sugar to the dressing, next time. Oh, and I cut the dressing ingredients, in half, as I used a bag of baby spinach-that seemed about right. Thanks for submitting this recipe; I too, love anything Amaretto!