Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
A creamy pear gelato served with frozed poached pear halves and an amaretto infused sauce. Gleaned from the pages of Gelato! Italian ice creams, srobetti & granite. Prep time includes the time needed to poach, heat, and chill liquid. Cooking time is the time needed in the ice cream freezer. Time will vary depending upon your ice cream freezer.
- 2 cups pear juice (or apple)
- 1 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and chopped (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the pear or apple juice, amaretto, and 1/2 cup sugar. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pears and poach for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender but not falling apart. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a plate. Reduce the cooking liquid for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Set aside to cool. Stir in the cream. Cover and refrigerate the pears and liquid separately until needed.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and salt. Heat over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat and cover to keep hot.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the 2/3 cup sugar and the egg yolks together until very thick and smooth. With the machine running, gradually add the hot milk.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon, Remove the pan from heat and set it in a bowl if ice water. Stir for 2 minutes to cool the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
- Chop 6 of the pear halves, refrigerate the remaining 6 for serving. In a blender or food processor, puree the chilled custard and the chopped pears until smooth. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- To serve, arrange a pear half on each plate. Reheat the reduced cooking liquid. Scoop gelato on top of each pear half, spoon some of the reduced cooking liquid over, and garnish with chopped hazelnuts. Makes 1 1/2 quarts, serves 6.