Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a second bowl, combine eggs, milk, Amaretto and almonds.
- Add to dry ingredients, stir until mixture is just moistened; batter will look rough not smooth, do not overmix.
- Spoon into muffins tins, about 3/4 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes of until golden brown.
- Remove from tins and place on wire rack.
Truly a superb muffin! I was a little worried that 1/2 cup of Amaretto would make this too "liqueur"-ish tasting, but it was wonderful. I wanted to make this non-dairy, so I subbed marg for the butter, and as a nice touch, almond milk for the 1/4 cup milk called for in the recipe. I had this for breakfast this morning with a nice cup of vanilla tea, a perfect start to my day! Thanks Holiday!
I am gluten-free and usually most recipes are easy to substitute with non-wheat fours (so long as xanthan gum is used). This is a decent recipe but didn't convert as nicely as some others I've used. I had to keep adding milk because it had the consistency of play dough. They came out okay but I wouldn't recommend it to the gluten-free set.
Excellent! I doubled the recipe for the Post New Year's Mass breakfast and they came out perfectly. A nice subtle taste. This is a keeper.