Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious and quick, but also a great dish for company. The lemon helps cut the richness of the Amaretto.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- Cut chicken into 1-inch wide strips.
- Mix seasonings and flour in plastic zip-loc bag; shake chicken strips in mixture to coat thoroughly.
- Melt butter over medium heat (or use oil) and saute chicken quickly.
- Reduce to medium low and add mushrooms, almonds, lemon rind and juice and Amaretto.
- Stir thoroughly and simmer to warm through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch into water, then blend with broth.
- Pour into chicken mixture.
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
I made this because I was looked for a way to use up some sliced almonds. The recipe as is is a little too lemony for my tastes. I was tempted to serve the chicken (without rice or noodles) before I added the broth and cornstarch because the small amount of sauce made by the amaretto, lemon juice and remaining butter looked so perfect, but I'm glad I didn't because the lemon flavor would have been even more concentrated. I might try making this again using only the juice and maybe a little zest, but not the zest of a whole lemon. Good flavor combo, though. I liked the addition of curry powder in the dredging mixture.