Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From several sources put together.
- 1⁄16 cup almonds, flaked toasted, divided
- 1 pie crust
- 16 ounces cream, 1/2 and 1/2
- 2 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 ounces almond paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ounce Amaretto
- Press some of the toasted almonds in bottom of the pie crust.
- Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven until lightly browned, about 10 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in double boiler heat 1/2 and 1/2 cream to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In another bowl mix egg yolks, almond paste, vanilla extract, almond extract, and Amaretto together.
- Temper cream into egg yolk mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Cook in ban marie water bath under pie pan so it doesn't get wet.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes until set.
- Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until stiff.
- Put on top of custard.
- In a broad band around perimeter of pie, spread the toasted almond flakes.
- Bake until merigue browns.