Recipe by Oolala
Delicious and lip licking. Freezes well. You'll need a candy thermometer. From "Recipes That Sing" submitted by Joyce Whitman.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups almonds, toasted and ground
- 3 -4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks with electric mixer until thick and pale in color, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the sugar and water in 1 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Increase heat and cook until syrup reaches 238 degrees ( soft ball stage) on candy thermometer.
- Beat hot syrup into yolks, continue beating until thick and fluffy, about 15 minutes. Cool in refrigerator.
- Grind 3 cups of toasted almonds. Moisten almonds with 3-4 tablespoons Amaretto. Press into the bottoms of small muffin tins.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture and add 1/2 cup of Amaretto.
- Pour mixture into the muffin tins and freeze until firm, about 6 hours.