Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
Rich creamy comfort food. It's even good without the amaretto. The amaretto gives it that something special tho so don't leave it out if you have some available.
Top Review by Mandarella
I was very excited about this recipe since I am a huge fan of amaretto. However, I was very disappointed with the results. There was a hint of amaretto, otherwise the chicken and noodles were virtually flavorless. I am rather inexperienced when it comes to cooking, so I don't know what spices I could add to bring out the flavors. If anyone has suggestions, I am very open.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 8 -10 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown chicken in 1 tablespoon hot oil. Drain on paper towel.
- Mix the soups together. Add the amaretto, water and milk. Mix well.
- Place peas, mushrooms, onions, celery, pimiento, green peppers and almonds in a large casserole dish and mix to combine. Place browned chicken breasts on top and cover casserole with half the soup mixture. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- While casserole is baking, cook the noodles according to package directions, adding 2 tablespoons cooking oil and bay leaf to the cooking water. When the noodles are done, rinse well. In small sauce pan, warm remining amaretto soup mixture. Place in a bowl with the warmed remaining amaretto soup mixture. Keep hot until ready to serve with chicken.