If you like chicken cooked in wine, then you'll love it cooked in Amaretto! Adapted from a recipe by Chef Willie of Tioli's restaurant in San Diego.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 cup Amaretto, divided
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Cut chicken in half-inch cubes; dredge in seasoned flour; saute in clarified butter on high heat; deglaze with 1/2 cup Amaretto and put to the side.
- Make mirepoix: Saute onion in olive oil until translucent; add carrot and celery; saute until soft and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat chicken stock and add the mirepoix; add the milk or cream. Cook until is has reduced by 25% and then add sugar, 1/2 cup amaretto and the chicken cubes.
- Simmer 20 minutes, then add red pepper and serve, garnished with toasted almonds and chopped parsley if desired.
This is for the Amaretto lover like me! It takes chicken soup to the next level. As it cooks the aromas are just a hint of what is to come- slightly sweet with the flavor of Amaretto. I used extra chicken because I needed to use it up. Thanks Jen for a nice twist on chicken soup!