Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can't believe how great this was! It came from allrecipes.com. I'm not an onion fan so I used 1/2 boiling onion instead of green onions and I didn't have any tarragon so I used parsley for color mainly. I also used a jar of Green Giant sliced mushrooms. I love garlic bu t3 cloves sounded like a lot so I used 1 large clove crushed.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (divided in half)
- 3 -4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded gruyere, cheese
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- Melt 1/4 cup of the butter in large skillet over med high heat.
- Brown chicken in butter quickly, remove to a 9x13 pan.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup butter to pan and brown the green onion and mushrooms with the garlic and tarragon.
- Pour this over the chicken.
- Heat the cream, cheese and amaretto in the pan, whisking rapidly.
- Stir in capers then pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
I personally loved this, although I recognize that this may not be for everyone. If you're not a fan of mushrooms, it is best that you not try this, as they feature very prominently in this recipe. I halved the amount of mushrooms and I felt that this was more than enough. All of the different flavors work well together in this dish, the cheese, the Amaretto, the garlic, the cream, everything. And the capers, surprisingly, really make this! I was loath to add the capers but I am incredibly glad I did. The capers kept this from tasting too sweet. I definitely enjoyed this although it didn't do many wonders for my diet! This is a very rich and fancy dish. It should be reserved for special occasions, it is a treat!
This was very easy to prepare and I followed the recipe except for omitting the capers. It has a sweet taste that was different than I'm used to but was very tasty. I'm glad I tried it!!