Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake is very moist and rich. It looks beautiful with slivered almonds around the top of the Ganache. (I make it for fancy birthdays and fill layers with cappachino mousse.) I have seen some recipes with sour cream in the batter, but I like vanilla yogurt better.
- Grease and flour your pans. Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cake mix with the next five ingredients.
- Pour the batter in your pan and bake for 27 minutes for layers or 45+ minutes for a Bundt pan. Check the cake with a toothpick to see if it is done. (When inserted in the cake, it should come out clean. The cake will have just begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.).
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove to finish cooling on a cooling rack. (Slide some waxed paper under the cooling rack to catch the drips of Ganache-yum!).
- For the Ganache:.
- Unwrap the squares of chocolate and place them in a bowl.
- Pour the whipping cream in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream on the chocolate and stir it until it is smooth and glossy.
- (at this point I chill it slightly for a filling or if I want to spread it).
- Spoon the Ganache over the cake on the rack making sure to cover it evenly.
- When the chocolate Ganache is almost set, top with almonds and place it on your serving plate.
OMG I made this last night for our Dinner for 8 group and all the women wanted the recipe. Out standing thank you so much for this. It will be a staple of mine to come for many years.