Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a delicious twist on a standard butterscotch sauce. I tried this once with hazelnuts and Frangelico instead of almonds and amaretto, and it was also very good.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond liqueur)
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add almonds to pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until almonds turn golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add sugar, corn syrup and cream to pan.
- Let bubble for about 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly, then remove from heat and stir in liqueur.
- Serve warm over dishes of vanilla ice cream.
YUM! Served it last night to guests and everyone loved it. I doubled the recipe and have lots left over so next time I'll just make it as is. I did leave the nuts out, just because a few people in my family wouldn't eat it then, but I imagine it would have made it that much better with some crunch. Thanks for leading me to this one Lennie, it was a winner and a keeper!