Recipe by Lennie
This is a delicious twist on a standard butterscotch sauce. I tried this once with hazelnuts and Frangelico instead of almonds and amaretto, and it was also very good.
Top Review by DDW
YUM! Served it last night to guests and everyone loved it. I doubled the recipe and have lots left over so next time I'll just make it as is. I did leave the nuts out, just because a few people in my family wouldn't eat it then, but I imagine it would have made it that much better with some crunch. Thanks for leading me to this one Lennie, it was a winner and a keeper!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond liqueur)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add almonds to pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until almonds turn golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add sugar, corn syrup and cream to pan.
- Let bubble for about 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly, then remove from heat and stir in liqueur.
- Serve warm over dishes of vanilla ice cream.