Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cookies are decorated with sliced almonds and flavored with orange peel and almond-flavor liqueur. Makes a wonderful holiday cookie. Delightful! From Sunset.
- 226.79 g butter or 226.79 g margarine, at room temperature,about
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 44.37 ml almond liqueur, such as amaretto or 14.79 ml almond extract
- 9.85 ml orange zest
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour, about
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 295.73 ml sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg yolk, liqueur, and orange peel and beat until well blended.
- In another bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to butter mixture; stir to mix, then beat until well blended.
- Gather dough into a ball, divide in half, and flatten each portion into a disk; wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until firm enough to roll without sticking, about 30 minutes.
- Unwrap dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll one disk at a time to about 1/4 inch thick.
- With a floured, 2-inch round cutter, cut out cookies.
- Place about 2 inches apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- Gather excess dough into a ball, reroll, and cut out remaining cookies.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white with 1 teaspoon water to blend.
- Brush cookies with mixture and sprinkle or arrange about 1/2 teaspoon sliced almonds on each.
- Bake cookies in a 325° regular or convection oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through cooking.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.