Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Cooking Light Cookbook, 1989. Not what I think of as light food but sounds great just the same!
- 3 cups French bread, torn into small pieces
- cooking spray
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (Splenda makes a lower calorie brown sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Amaretto (not a typo)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Place bread pieces in a 9 inch square baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the milk and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.