Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can serve this with cocktails or on a dessert tray. They are both sweet and savory. From The New Carry-Out Cuisine. It is hard to stop nibbling on these!
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark rum or 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- kosher salt
- 2 -5 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 2 1/2 tsp. water) or 1 -3 tablespoon Amaretto, to taste (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 2 1/2 tsp. water)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb dried apricot halves
- Line a jelly-roll pan with foil.
- Spread the nuts on the foil lined pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients for the walnuts, except the kosher salt, in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the sauce over the nuts, making sure to coat them well.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the toasted nuts on lightly oiled foil and sprinkle with the salt if desired.
- Assembly: Add the Amaretto to the cream cheese and mix well.
- Place a teaspoon of the cheese on each apricot and top with a walnut.
Prepared this over the weekend for a Dinner Party, it was a hit! I like this one because it is tasty, unique, pretty, would travel well, and EASY! I do have a few tips for easy & success: Walnuts (could use pecans as well) 1. I added them directly to the sauce pan to coat. Seems to be an easier way to do it than on the sheet pan. I would suggest puring off the extra liquid, prior to putting on the sheet pan as my extra liquid caused some charred nuts. 2. Next time I am going to double the sugar since I like a sweeter terriyaki, though if you like salty, leave as is at 2 T brown sugar. 3. REMOVE the nuts from the pan once they cool off slightly, do not let them linger or you will have issues getting them off especially if the extra sauce is not removed prior to roasting. Placing them on a cooking sprayed foil works out fine. 4. Store in airtight container or the coating becomes slippery. Cream Cheese 1. 3T of Amaretto, could go up to 4-5 T. 2. Placed in sandwich sized ziploc to cool off in refrig awhile before assembling. Cut the corner off for makeshift pastry bag for easy & clean assembly. Apricots 1. Purchased huge bag from Costco for just under $9. I flattened them slightly to make them more uniform with my thumbs placing them on my serving plate to assemble. Alrighty, just a few of my hopefully helpful hints... Happy Cooking!
These were fantastic! I actually chocolate dipped my apricots first. Made for a Baby shower and they were a HUGE hit!! Will definately keep this recipe and make again!! Awesome!
waited an extra minute or so and ruined my first batch of walnuts. but after a trip to the neighbors for more-they came out awesome. people were wary of them next to all the other chips and dips at the potluck but they were devoured! the cream cheese mixture is so good. thinking of other places to use it! thanks!