You can serve this with cocktails or on a dessert tray. They are both sweet and savory. From The New Carry-Out Cuisine. It is hard to stop nibbling on these!
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark rum or 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- kosher salt
- 2 -5 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 2 1/2 tsp. water) or 1 -3 tablespoon Amaretto, to taste (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 2 1/2 tsp. water)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb dried apricot halves
- Line a jelly-roll pan with foil.
- Spread the nuts on the foil lined pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients for the walnuts, except the kosher salt, in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the sauce over the nuts, making sure to coat them well.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the toasted nuts on lightly oiled foil and sprinkle with the salt if desired.
- Assembly: Add the Amaretto to the cream cheese and mix well.
- Place a teaspoon of the cheese on each apricot and top with a walnut.