Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of my favorite autumn activities is going apple picking. I created this recipe as a way to combine the apples that we pick and one of my favorite flavors - Amaretto. This cake is moist, sweet, and bursting with flavor...Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup almond flavored liqueur (Amaretto)
- 1 large apple, peeled,cored and diced (large dice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 4 mini-loaf pans or 1 regular-sized loaf pan.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, continuing to beat until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon, mix well.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture, mix well.
- Add milk and Amaretto to the mixture, then the rest of the flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in chopped apple, mixing gently but thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan, or divide among mini-loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes (25-30 for mini-loaf pans) until toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a rack.
While this was a moist and sweet cake, I didn't get a powerful enough apple or amaretto flavor. I even doused the still-warm cake with extra amaretto when it came out of the oven. Pleasant, but not something I will make again.