Recipe by Feisty
I can't believe I haven't posted this! It's a big hit in my family, I get requests for it every year around Christmas. The key to this is to get your syrup thick before adding the vodka--this is what makes it indistinguishable from Di Saronno, at a much reduced cost.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups vodka
- 2 tablespoons almond extract (NOT imitation)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and sugars in a very large saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat until the mixture is boiling and all sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for approximately 2 hours until mixture is thickened and syrupy and lightly coats a spoon.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add vodka and extracts and stir well.
- Pour into a bottle and seal.