Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An 'adults only' version of a wonderful dessert.
- 6 freestone peaches
- 2 ounces amaretti cookies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sweet marsala wine
- 2 ounces butter, chopped
- heavy cream, to serve
- vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Halve peaches and remove stones.
- Scoop out a little of the flesh from each half, chop, then place in a bowl.
- Add the chopped amaretti cookies, crystallized ginger, sugar, almonds and 1-2 teaspoons marsala.
- Stitr with a spoon to form a slightly sticky mixture.
- Fill the peach cavities with the amaretti mixture, forming a mound with each.
- Top each half with a small piece of butter, then place the peaches into the greased dish.
- Pour the remaining marsala around the peaches.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, basting from time to time with the marsala.
- Check if peaches are tender, and cook a little longer if necessary.
- Peaches can be served warm or at room temperature with the pan juices spooned over, accompanied with a dollop of cream and a scoop of ice cream if desired.