Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This Cherry Sundae is traditional treat that is served in German ice cream parlors during the summer. The recipe makes enough for 2-4 ice cream sundaes; 2 as a stand alone treat or 4 as dessert. You could take out all the alcohol so the kids could have one too, but what fun would that be?!
- 1 cup whipped cream (use the real deal)
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces kirschwasser, about 4 T (cherry brandy or schnapps)
- 1 cup cherries, sauce Amarenakirschen (recipe below)
- waffle cookie (such as Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookies) (optional)
- 1 cup sweet cherries, pitted (about 6 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto (optional)
- Place 1/2 cup ice cream into each dish, top with 1 tablespoon kirschwasser, 1/4 cup Amarenakirschen and whipped cream.
- Place the cherries, sugar and water in a pan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, then add the almond extract, lemon juice and amaretto.
I only rate this 4 stars because I found the kirsh to be slightly overpowering. I made this as a special treat for the BF. I would add the kirsh with the cherries a minute before turning off the heat. I used a little vanilla bean infused sugar. My BF went back for seconds and tried it with chocolate Ice cream and said it worked. Very good. Made for ZWt 6.