Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A recipe from Bob's Red Mill as contributed by Marjorie Hunt Jones, R.N. and posted in response to a recipe request. Cooking time approximate.
- In a small bowl, mix the amaranth flour and chili powder.
- Stir in water, then evaluate the consistency.
- The dough should be soft, but not wet, and mold easily into shapes.
- The dough will easily form a ball as you stir it.
- If necessary, add a bit more flour or water to achieve the proper consistency.
- Pinch off balls of dough the size of golf balls.
- Roll them in additional flour to coat well.
- Knead each ball a bit as you pat or roll it into a flat circle that's about 1/8" thick and 5" - 6" across.
- Repeat with all dough.
- Heat a heavy nonstick frying pan or griddle. Use no oil.
- Place each tortilla in the hot pan, and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Tortillas should become lightly brown and start to appear dry. Cool on wire racks.