1 hr 30 mins
I've only made the whole-wheat variation of this recipe, but it was very tasty and easy. Adapted from The Angelica Home Kitchen cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour or 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soymilk
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1Place 1 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt in a 1-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Add amaranth, lower flame, and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F
- 4Spread the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 5Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 cup of the toasted sunflower seeds, and remaining sea salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- 6In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk, amaranth, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup.
- 7Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly, but do not overmix. Batter will be thick but pourable.
- 8Lightly oil (or pan-spray) a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.
- 9Pour in the batter and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds.
- 10Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amaranth-Sunflower-Spelt Bread
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 570.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: