Recipe by ballarat
Amaranth leaf is cooked in many cultures around the world. It is a flavoursome and nutritious green. Of course any other leafy green could be substituted. Serve with rice or grain of your choice.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
I thought this recipe was delicious! I was surprised that the cocunut milk didn't overly sweeten the recipe. It was very easy to cook up and it would be a perfect recipe to serve to my vegetarian friends. I however used it as a side dish to grilled ribeye and mushrooms. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 1 kg amaranth, leaf
- 1 liter water
- 420 ml coconut milk
- 1 large onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and salt to the boil in a large pot.
- Add washed amaranth leaves and boil for 15 minutes or until tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and cook the chopped onion until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the well drained amaranth leaves and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning or add lemon juice to taste.