Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Amaranth is a healthy grain, but I don't like it in savory dishes. This is my delicious breakfast creation. It's vegan if you use a vegan sweetener, like agave. May I also add that I make it this way because the other flavors cover the general flavor of the amaranth. This recipe is an alternative, but it will not be like your "normal" cereal grains. I use this recipe with other grains: millet, steel cut oats, and whole spelt. Amaranth is healthy, but if you don't like amaranth, you might still get the amaranth flavor in this recipe. You might also try another grain if you don't like the natural, earthy flavors of amaranth.
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cook the amaranth (this may be done the night before): Mix the water and amaranth in a saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Turn heat to low, and let simmer for 20-25 minute Most of the water should be absorbed. Take care at the end of the cooking time, because it may get too dry and burn. You should still see the individual grains of amaranth, although they will stick together a little. Overcooking will turn the amaranth to mush.
- Cooked amaranth will keep in the refrigerator overnight, if necessary.
- In the morning, reheat the amaranth in the microwave, if necessary. Drizzle the amaranth with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon, and pour the coconut milk on top.
There is no better food for breakfast than amaranth.
Great way to have amaranth! I had coconut milk left over from a curry and decided to give this a try, and it turned out most delicious. Made it as written but for the amount of honey - one teaspoon honey was plenty for my taste. WIll make this again often. Thanks for posting!
Made for Honor Thy Mother And Be Gluten Free, Too (Diabetes Forum).
This was delicious. I wanted to incorporate Amaranth into our diets because it's so healthy, but haven't been a fan of the savory recipes, either. This one blew me away. I mixed everything together and got the perfect consistency that way. I may add in chopped dates to add some variety to the consistency, but the flavor is just amazing.