Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I am basically "allergic to the universe." This recipe came from my personal desire to make pancakes which do not contain white flour or white sugar. The recipe is quick, simple and very healthy. The pancake itself is not sweet tasting because it has no sweetener, however, it can be easily sweetened by adding Stevia, Steviva, or some other sweetener to the batter. I have elected to sweeten the pancake by adding honey and fruit.
- Heat lightly greased frying pan on medium heat.
- A cast iron pan is preferred.
- In small bowl, mix amaranth flour and flax seed meal.
- Add egg to flour mixture.
- Beat with whisk until well blended.
- Add small amount of water to egg mixture then beat.
- Do this several times until the batter is thick, yet not runny.
- Pour batter into heated pan.
- Cover with glass lid.
- Flip after bubbles have formed.
- This will take approximately one minute.
- Cook for another one or two minutes.
- Place on plate.
- Allow butter to melt on pancake.
- Then drizzle honey over pancake.
- Add fruit and enjoy!
OH, thank you for this! Recipes for amaranth seem hard to come by. We eat buckwheat pancakes here, but since it's an aquired taste I'll plan on making these Christmas day when we have the company.