Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe that came from a lot of trial and error with recipes I'd already found for Beef Stroganoff. This by far is the best I've ever made and make it frequently in the fall/winter.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
- 12 ounces low-sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- Cut stew meat into slices or smaller chunks (as desired).
- Melt butter in large sautee pan.
- Add meat, salt, and pepper and allow meat to brown.
- When meat is browned, add thyme and beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Allow to simmer for 3 hours, stirring occassionally. (If liquid diminishes, add a few extra ounces.).
- Slice mushroom to desired thickness and add to meat. Simmer, stirring occassionally, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Prepare egg noodles as directed on package.
- Add sour cream, mixing in slowly until reaching desired sauciness.
- Serve over egg noodles.