Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am always on the lookout for new sourdough recipes and was tickled when I found this 10Apr11 post by one of my favorite keep-it-basic bloggers, Amanda, at http://mandyskitchen.wordpress.com. Remember Bisquick or Krusteaz Impossible Pie? Well, this is just as simple but far tastier! The batter with cheese on top forms a crisp crust that reveals a delicious moist bread just beneath the surface. I mixed about 1/2 tsp crumbled rosemary into the batter. For the filling I used a single layer of Sweet Italian Sausage (sliced first into small rounds and fried until nearly fully cooked) topped with ratatouille (http://www.food.com/recipe/ratatouille-in-the-crock-pot-52757). The only adjustment I made was that I cut the grated cheese back to just a light sprinkling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sourdough starter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- water or milk, to make a thick cream-like consistency
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Beat together all ingredients except the cheese.
- Grease a deep pie dish or an 9×9 baking dish and put in around 3 cups of your desired filling, You can use whatever you like for filling. Amanda offers nice suggestions at http://mandyskitchen.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/sourdough-impossible-pie/.
- Top with the sourdough mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.