Prep4 hrs 30 mins
My neighbor served this at a baby shower and everyone wanted a copy of the recipe. This was addictive and had a unique, fresh taste. Don't leave out the bacon at the end..it is an essential ingredient, as is the chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise (real mayo)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1-2 limes, depending on size of your limes)
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices maple bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover along with 1 tsp of the salt until fork tender, about 15 minutes or so (will vary based on size of potatoes).
- Drain and cool.
- Cut potatoes into bite sized chunks.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, chilies, chopped cilantro, green onions, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoons salt in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in bacon crumbles and garnish with additional fresh cilantro.
So tasty! I would give this recipe more than five stars if I could. I love that it is so different from the classic potato salad. I used jalapenos rather than green chilies to make it a bit spicier, and it worked out very well. I agree that the bacon is a definite must, and I will probably add another couple pieces more next time. Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Delicious! I love cilantro and will increase the amount next time. I also omitted the chiles and bacon. Still wonderful and more to my liking. Will try bacon next time! thanks!
This potato salad is an intriquing twist on an old favorite. The cilantro, lime juice and green chilis give it a fresh taste. I doubled the green chilis to give it an even brighter flavor. I served the salad at a beach lunch. It received thumbs up from everyone. Made for My3Chefs 2007. Thanks for posting!