Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A Southern cake recipe courtesy of our local newspaper.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 9 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 lb butter
- 4 cups chopped nuts
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut water (from fresh coconut; canned may be substituted)
- 2 cups grated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F; grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder together; add alternatively to butter mixture with milk.
- Beat eggs whites until stiff; fold into batter.
- Pour into greased and floured pans; bake for 35 minutes.
- When done, turn out onto grate to cool.
- While cake is baking, boil together sugar, butter, egg yolks, and coconut water until thick enough to spread. Remove from heat; stir in pecans and coconut.
- Spread between cooled layers.