My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 large egg whites
- 1Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2Butter and flour three 9-inch diameter cake pans.
- 3Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- 4Using electric mixer, beat butter and 1 3/4 cups sugar in large bowl.
- 5Beat in vanilla.
- 6Add dry ingredients with milk.
- 7Beat whites in another large bowl to soft peaks.
- 8Slowly beat in 1/4 cup sugar.
- 9Continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- 10Fold whites into batter.
- 11Divide batter among prepared pans; smooth tops.
- 12Bake cakes for about 35 minutes.
- 13Cool cakes for about 10 minutes.
- 14Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 15Whisk sugar, bourbon and yolks in medium bowl.
- 16Gradually whisk in melted butter.
- 17Return mixture to saucepan; whisk over medium heat until very thick for about 6 minutes.
- 18Mix in chopped pecans, raisins and 1 1/2 cups coconut.
- 19Chill until cold for about 1 hour.
- 20Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- 21Spread 1/3 of filling over; cover with second layer.
- 22Spread 1/3 of filling over; top with third cake layer.
- 23Spread remaining filling over top (not on the sides) of cake.
- 24Sprinkle additional coconut in 1-inch border around top edge of cake.
- 25Garnish with pecan halves.
- 26Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- 27Let sit 2 hours at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amalgamation Cake
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.7
- Calories from Fat 421
- Total Fat 46.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 200.0 mg
- Sodium 410.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 71.5 g
- Protein 9.4 g