Top Review by BarbaraK
This cake is excellent. However, the bourbon is bitter and overpowering. If I make it again, I'll cut the bourbon to 1/4 cup, or leave it out entirely. The cake itself is moist and quite good (after you scrape the filling off!)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- sweetened flaked coconut
- pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Butter and flour three 9-inch diameter cake pans.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and 1 3/4 cups sugar in large bowl.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients with milk.
- Beat whites in another large bowl to soft peaks.
- Slowly beat in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Continue beating until stiff but not dry.
- Fold whites into batter.
- Divide batter among prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake cakes for about 35 minutes.
- Cool cakes for about 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk sugar, bourbon and yolks in medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk in melted butter.
- Return mixture to saucepan; whisk over medium heat until very thick for about 6 minutes.
- Mix in chopped pecans, raisins and 1 1/2 cups coconut.
- Chill until cold for about 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- Spread 1/3 of filling over; cover with second layer.
- Spread 1/3 of filling over; top with third cake layer.
- Spread remaining filling over top (not on the sides) of cake.
- Sprinkle additional coconut in 1-inch border around top edge of cake.
- Garnish with pecan halves.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Let sit 2 hours at room temperature.