Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Solo salads for a casual help-yourself party. Start these the day before to save yourself time.
- 50 g pine nuts
- 2 (110 g) packages salad leaves (e.g. red chard)
- 200 g sunblush tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200 g black olives (nicoise are great)
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- The day before; make the dressing.
- Mix the tomato paste and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil to form a smooth emulsion and season to taste.
- Store it in a screw-top jar if you want to get ahead and re-whisk before using on the night.
- The pine nuts can be dealt with the day before to save time. Heat a small frying pan.
- tip in the nuts and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning them frequently until they smell nutty and are nicely browned.
- To serve; put the leaves in a large bowl with the tomatoes and olives.
- Pour in the dressing and mix well.
- divide between eight glasses.
- sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts.
This was really good. Next time I would add more vinegar and sun dried tomato paste.
The dressing definitely makes this salad - It is crisp & a bit tart. The Pine nuts are a gentle flavor enhancer. I added some Maui onion and cucumber to the salad - lovely lunch sitting on the patio
This was a very good salad. Salad is so versatile, but the dressing was the ticket to this recipe. I had never used Balsamic Vinegar before, and I don't know what I was afraid of. I omitted the chopped tomato in this salad only because I don't like cold tomatoes. I added some red onion slices, because I love them in a salad. And grilled chicken breast, because I made this into a meal. The pinenuts were excellent, and I will definately add them to every salad from here on out. I made extra dressing to have another time. The "greens" that I used were some romaine, and some spinach. That is my favorite combo for salads. DH tasted the dressing and he liked it. He is strictly a bottled French dressing kinda guy. So that in and of itself is a compliment. Thanks for giving me an option to our salad nights.