Recipe by sunsetdragon
I created this because I got a request for sandwich with no lettuce and no mayonnaise and that didn't mind being smashed a bit. This sandwich is good meatless and/ or grilled. Add more or subtract the red pepper flakes based on your heat preference.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Rock Me Amadeus! I used sourdough bread and Recipe#245260 for the spread, then pressed in the panini maker. This is so flavorful that the turkey's really not necessary-would be great vegetarian-style.
- 2 slices rye bread or 2 slices pumpernickel bread or 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper and eggplant spread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 ounce sliced low-sodium turkey breast
- 3 slices tomatoes, sliced an 1/8 to 1/4 inch thin and patted dry
- 1 slice provolone cheese or 1 slice muenster cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread both slices of bread (on one side) with the roasted vegetable spread.
- Sprinkle the spread with the red pepper flakes and salt.
- Layer the turkey, tomatoes, cheese, and the other slice of bread; press gently but do not flatten.
- Cut in half and serve or wrap tightly in plastic wrap, foil, or with parchment paper and a rubber band and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.